Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Pear Tart, part deux

(a.k.a. Pear Tart, Revisited)

Poaching pears.

Last fall, I decided to make a rustic, galette-style pear tart with the pears I had harvested from my tree.  I had poached the pears first in honey wine (mead) with a cinnamon stick, vanilla, lemon peel, a little bit of sugar, cloves, star anise and peppercorns.

The pears were infused with wonderful flavors, and the pear tart turned out exquisitely delicious, in my opinion.  In fact, I enjoyed it so much, I couldn't stop thinking about it.

I still had plenty of poached pears left over from my harvest, so this month I decided to quickly whip up another pear tart dessert on this dreary, blustery, wintery day.  But this time I decided to utilize the more traditional, recognizable, and more elegant, tart form.

A traditional pear-almond tart.
I also kept the pears in lusciously succulent halves, instead of slicing them as I had before.  The generous sprinkle of sliced almonds in the center hides more pears underneath, and highlights the creamy and flavor-packed amaretto layer they rest upon.

A classic crimped tart.
The crimped crust is classic and elegant, and elevates the look of the dessert so easily.  The pan does all the work.  The pear halves are also easier to work with than slicing them all. 
 
All in all, an easier version to assemble and bake results in a beautifully different take on the same dessert I served last fall.  Whether rustic and free-form, or elegant and traditional, the same dessert can be created so that it becomes a completely different experience for all who gather around your table.

A rustic galette-style tart.
An experiential reminder that approach and presentation, intention and plating, make all the difference in the food you create.  Consider the season, the mood, the décor, the platter, or even the individual plates you're serving it up in.  All of these things will determine your approach and what kind of food or dessert you decide to make.

Happy New Year, everyone!
May your table always be beautifully abundant!




For more pie and tart recipes, be sure to download your copy of our cookbook.  The 2nd Edition contains even more photos, more tips and extra content from the renowned Afternoon Tea Bakery ...
Download the From the Bakery of Afternoon Tea: Book of Pies for your Amazon Kindle today!





No comments:

Post a Comment